Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ween / La Cucaracha (2007)

Barring any forthcoming material, this is Ween’s final studio recording (surprised me, too. I was sure that the Weens would replace themselves with cyborgs and continue shooting barbs well into the 23rd century). It is a balanced mix of the quirky electronic music that made them famous, and the full-band sound that sustained their fanbase and live show for the better part of two decades. In typical Ween fashion, the songs hop around various themes with tongue firmly in cheek, covering everything from sex to murder to football. Between the offbeat lyrics and diabolical track sequencing, you’re sure to be laughing, feeling really cool, or just rocking out. But don’t get ahead of yourself because Gene and Deen pull tricks from the first track. I was listening to this in the car, quite loud, and, true story, I snarfled a mouthful of soda when I heard the "Fiesta" drum machine suddenly eat itself. Prank thus fulfilled, the track is terminated and things move on through all manner of mock seriousness and serious mockness, wrapping up a tidy 13 tracks later. I love the ride: It’s a mature album (ha! gotcha) and at times their mask of tom foolery seems to slip. But does it really, or am I just imagining things? Have they fooled me again? The song “Object” is one such example that seems to allude to the true feelings of a heartsick lover, only to insult my sincere interpretation with a coupling line about a block of meat, and another about a sweater. Such is Ween. It’s hardly the grand charade staged by The Residents, but they do keep you guessing. I wasn’t thrilled with La Cucaracha upon its release, probably because it sounded too much like what I expected to hear, you know, like a Ween album. Now that they’ve officially called it quits, Cucaracha is like a breath of fresh air... really stinky fresh air. I'm still holding out for a reunion, whenever Gene can get his act together, but real recovery is a steep hill and I'm happy if he takes his time. So long, fellas, and thanks for all the chocolate and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment